Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 14:30:43 UTC 2008

2008/4/1, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> Mark wrote:
>  > Hey,
>  >
>  > I was just about to install gimp or so i thought.
>  > I didn't look in Applications -> Graphics to see if gimp was already
>  > there. This time it was but i found that out after i did: yum -y
>  > install gimp.
>  >
>  > Now for the feature or bug in yum.
>  > When you have a application installed and then yum: yum -y install
>  > gimp then yum first needs to download updates of it's repository.. do
>  > something else and than it simply tells me: Package
>  > 2:gimp-2.4.5-1.fc9.i386 already installed and latest version
>  >
>  > But wouldn't it be best if yum FIRST checks if the package is already
>  > installed and if it is then ask the user to check for updates?
>

> Unless yum checks the repository, it can't tell you whether the version
>  you have is the latest or not. I am not sure I understand your
>  suggestion. Can you explain further?
>
>  Rahul

Well. let yum first check if the package you try to install is already
installed (version independent) than let yum (if it finds a installed
package) ask the user if he/she wants to check for updates of that
package.

Pseudo code style..
yum list install gimp [1]
if yum found gimp
 - ask to look for updates and install them if the user answers "y"
else
 - install gimp

[1] I noticed that yum wants to update his local repository here as
well. I think it's better to get that behaviour out yum and only
update it's local repo if there is none available or a update command
is given or a install command is given.

Hope that explains it better.