Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 23:31:07 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:

>>> Have you tried asking the CentOS guys to update their yum package?
>> The CentOS policy is to maintain strict and exact compatibility with
>> their upstream "famous North American distribution" that won't let them
>> mention their name.  So it will update when you-know-who updates - which
>> by policy isn't likely to be until the next major release.
>>

> Then you aren't being a good sysadmin and following the betas of the
> server operating systems you run.

There are plenty of ways to get broken code.  I don't think it is a bad
thing to avoid one of them.  And I'm never thrilled when anything adds
interface changes that require knowing the differences between machines
in the scripts that ssh commands to them - as for example when yum
decided not to like --download-only and might or might not do
--downloadonly depending on the circumstances.  (I still have an
assortment of CentoOS3.x boxes running too...).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com