very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 05:55:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 12:27:18AM -0400, Will Woods wrote:

 > IIRC one of the proposed solutions was to have 'modprobed' - a
 > modprobe daemon which would read modules.deps at system startup and
 > handle all subsequent modprobe requests from udev etc.

to solve slow booting, the solution is 'add another daemon that
starts every time boot' ?  That sounds kinda backwards when
with some fairly trivial changes to module-init-tools
(generation of an index at depmod time, and parsing of that
index to eliminate the bulk of the file scanning)
we should be able to eliminate most of the overhead with no runtime cost.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk