very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Apr 2 07:06:38 UTC 2008

Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Compiling these modules, which are loaded on nearly every PC, in the
> kernel cuts down my boot time from 42s to 32s on my computer:
>
> ata_generic
> ata_piix
> cdrom
> dm_mirror
> dm_mod
> dm_snapshot
> dm_zero
> ehci_hcd
> ext3
> floppy
> i2c_core
> jbd
> libata
> mbcache
> ohci_hcd
> parport
> parport_pc
> pata_acpi
> scsi_mod
> sd_mod
> sg
> snd
> snd_mixer_oss
> snd_page_alloc
> snd_pcm
> snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq
> snd_seq_device
> snd_seq_dummy
> snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_oss
> snd_timer
> soundcore
> sr_mod
> uhci_hcd

If we're giong todo this please leave out any modules that do hardware probing,
so atleast no floppy please.

In legacy free / floppy less PC's loading the floppy module will cause a huge
delay while it tries to talk to a non existing floppy drive, the same would
probably apply to parport_pc

other then that I believe this is an easy solution for reducing the delays
caused by for modprobe sucking speed wise.

Regards,

Hans