Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

David Mansfield fedora at dm.cobite.com
Wed Apr 2 14:41:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 13:36 +0200, Mark wrote:
> Oke little update on my original post.
> I'm not complaining about speed! i did that before around F7 and then
> "proved" that i could do the same in a fraction of a second with mysql
> but that was without checks. The speed is fine for me as it is
> now.faster is better but this isn't a issue anymore. What i was saying
> here is that yum first needs to download/update it's local data to
> tell something that it could have easily done with rpm -q gimp. And
> that was also my question if the current behaviour of that is a bug or
> a feature. I also understand that this might be a rare case scenario
> so therefore might not even be useful to implement.

It's not true.  'yum install gimp' will also update gimp if it's not
'the most current version'.  In order to check that, it needs to have
'current' metadata (whatever that means).  This means just 'rpm -q gimp'
is not sufficient to perform the necessary tasks.

Maybe what you are asking is: should 'yum install foo' also implicitly
do a 'yum update foo' if package foo is already installed, or should
they be separate operations?

But that's a different question.

David