very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 18:08:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:08:22AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
 > Dave Jones wrote:
 > > On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 04:55:54PM -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
 > >  > Harald Hoyer wrote:
 > >  > > Compiling these modules, which are loaded on nearly every PC, in the
 > >  > > kernel cuts down my boot time from 42s to 32s on my computer:
 > >  >
 > >  > > floppy
 > >  >
 > >  > I was going to suggest you might want to leave that one out, since I wouldn't
 > >  > think its that common anymore... then I checked, and this is loaded on my
 > >  > machine which has no floppy.
 > >
 > > The code to detect if we have a floppy controller lives... in the floppy module.
 > > It's not something that's trivially detectable like pci/usb devices.
 > >

 > Isn't this (determing wether or not to load floppy.ko) done (on PC's) by
 > checking if the BIOS has a floppy configured?

Hmm, possibly.   It looks like if the pnp code finds PNP0700 in the BIOS
that a uevent occurs.   I found /etc/modprobe.d/floppy-pnp which contains
alias pnp:dPNP0700 floppy

So yes it looks like disabling that in the BIOS (as long the BIOS stops reporting
the PNP object) will make it stop being loaded.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk