Fedora Windows Migration Tool

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 21:06:07 UTC 2008

2008/4/1 nikhil bharadwaj <nikhil.bbharadwaj at yahoo.com>:

> I have an idea of importing all the Windows documents,files,etc. into the
> Fedora partition during the installation. Also, maintaining a sync of all
> the files in both the OS's.
>
> A detailed overview and concept of the idea is in the given link:
>
> http://nikhilbharadwaj.wordpress.com/fedora-project-soc-2008/

I'm sort of confused on a couple of things....

 why a mirror of the data across partitions? If we are able to mount ntfs on
a per user basis... why not find a way to use the ntfs partition as the data
location for the common data for the user in situations where users care
about cross operating system access?
We already have a system to redirect what directories are programtically
used:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs
Can't the technology here be extended to make use of an ntfs data store
without the complexity of mirroring?

Why at install time.. versus an option that can be invoked for any user at
user creation time or any later time generally though the system-config-user
dialog?  Don't people have multiple users defined commonly on home XP and
Vista systems?  Don't we need to be able to configure the OS data syncing
for multiple users by mapping a fedora username to the corresponding
username on the XP system?

-jef