Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Apr 2 21:24:35 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Benny Amorsen
> <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk<benny%2Busenet at amorsen.dk>>
>
> wrote:
> > It's sad that more dependencies are needed for something as basic as
> > yum,
>
> Who you prefer that yum grow its own gpg implementation in order to
> correctly verify the gpg signatures on packages?
>
> Why is code reuse sad?

Reuse is not sad per se, but if this is indeed for checking package
signatures, rpm can do it and I assume the functionality to do it is exposed
to python from it - wouldn't it be better to reuse it from rpm instead of
pulling in an additional library for doing the same thing?  Of course, there
may be good reasons to do it this way; I'm nowhere near familiar enough with
yum or rpm APIs or their development directions to be able to tell.

WAG: Or perhaps this is for checking signatures on something else than
packages, eg. repodata?