very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Apr 3 06:34:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 21:53 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >> correct… seems to be started by NM / dbus according to the bootchart…
> >
> > This *should* be in the background and not actually be delaying the boot.
> >
> > Bill
> >

> The point is: Why is it started anyway? I have *no* wireless! No need to eat disk/CPU resources (which *is*
> delaying the boot).

On a tangent issue: I have machines which do not have USB, rsp. which
have USB disabled in BIOS.

No need to eat RAM and CPU cycles for builtin USB kernel modules just
for the sake of a couple of seconds speedup in booting [1]

Ralf

[1] One of these machines is an ancient i586. On this machine, RAM is
such kind of tight (64MB), any spared memory is valuable. More built-in
kernel modules probably will mean the death of Fedora on this class of
machines.