Network Manager Summary

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Sat Apr 5 22:42:18 UTC 2008

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 13:55 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
>> Andrew Farris wrote:

>>> Edit /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethx and add DNS1, DNS2,
>>> DNS3, and set PEERDNS=no and networkmanager should pick up and reset
>>> your resolv.conf based on those cfgs and which is configured (i.e. diff
>>> interfaces could have diff nameservers).  Also see the thread:
>>> Re: f9 resetting dns nameservers
>>>
>> NM does not seem to honor PEERDNS=no
>
> What's the expected behavior there for ifup?

/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt :

     PEERDNS=yes|no
       modify /etc/resolv.conf if peer uses msdns extension (PPP only) or
       DNS{1,2} are set, or if using dhclient. default to "yes".
     DNS{1,2}=<ip address>
       provide DNS addresses that are dropped into the resolv.conf
       file if PEERDNS is not set to "no".

PEERDNS=no : do not touch /etc/resolv.conf at all...