xulrunner rendering issues ?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Sun Apr 6 16:09:44 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Try setting your dpi in the appearance configuration (under the font
> tab).  If that doesn't work, go to firefox 3, hit about:config and
> search for dpi, change that, then firefox should render right at least.

Thanks, that indeed seems to be the root of the problem. It does however
   points out our vulnerable we are to a poorly reported monitor DPI
value, a scenario I'm concerned might be quite common with some X
drivers and/or buggy monitor firmwares.

My problem is that the F-9 VMWare guest shows a DPI setting of 144 (even
though my external LCD screen is 96 dpi), so VMware virtual screen is
probably at fault here.

I tried the Live i386 CD from Jesse's recent snapshot. It behaves much
better, but ironically it does so because the "nv" driver does not
report my T61 screen DPI correctly (96 instead of 128). I already find
the default font size to be too big on the live CD (first thing i do is
change it from 10 down to 9), but it's scary to think it would be even
larger if nv reported the DPI info corectly.

 > If that doesn't work, go to firefox 3, hit about:config and
 > search for dpi, change that, then firefox should render right
 > at least.

A second problem is that the about:config seems to be broken with both
galeon and epiphany (can't change any values). I filed bug 441120
against xulrunner for this. Also, it seems wrong that changing the dpi
settings in the Gnome appearance configuration is not enough, but one
has to change the (somewhat obscure) internal dpi settings in all
browsers. Probably worthy of release notes documentation.

-denis