bugzilla triage madness :-/

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 15:42:56 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Stephen John Smoogen [08/04/2008 23:23] :
>>                             In some cases that will mean a maintainer
>> loses a package if they are not responding to bugs.
>
> Can't we just open up the ACLs for that package? It doesn't matter that
> the maintainer doesn't use Bugzilla, only that someone is able to commit
> the bug's fix to the package (and push out an update?).

Open acls are good.

OTOH, if a maintainer doesn't use Bugzilla, there's a definite problem.
  Bugzilla is a primary form of contact between users and developers.
If a maintainer doesn't use Bugzilla, it could be argued that they
aren't paying attention to a major portion of their responsibilities to
a package.

This is the thing I hate most about Ubuntu-launchpad.  There's no
culture of watching the bug tracker (or it's not consistent between the
Ubuntu distro people and the upstream people hosted in launchpad) so
putting a bug in launchpad might not ever be read by the relevant parties.

In Fedora it may sometimes feel the same but at least our messaging is
sane:  Every bug belongs in Bugzilla.  When the process falls down
(because a maintainer is ignoring bugzilla) we need to find a way to
address that (triage team looks at bugs and flags important ones for the
maintainer; opening acls so more people can work on a package; getting
maintainers to release packages that they do not care about; etc).

-Toshio