Stuck at NFS root boot in F9

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Apr 13 07:41:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 15:58 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> Switching to new root and running init.
> unmounting old /dev
> unmounting old /proc
> unmounting old /sys
>
> At this point during NFS root boot it gets stuck.

> Should nash-hotplug still be running at this point?
>
> init=/test.sh containing "exec /bin/bash -l -i" successfully drops me to
> a shell, confirming that it did actually mount the filesystem and run
> init.  In this shell I see a process running "/bin/nash /init auto".
> Should I still be seeing this after switchroot?
>
> This problem utterly breaks LTSP so I really hope we can figure out what
> is going on before F9.
>
> I am uncertain when this problem began.  Prior to April 5th I was
> running Fedora 8 on my LTSP development laptop.  Both F-8 and F-9
> chroots were PXE and NFS root booting from the F-8 host to thin clients
> and virtual machines just fine.  Now with F-9 host, F-8 chroots continue
> to boot fine, but I see this F-9 problem.
>
> Any ideas what could possibly be going on?  I am not even sure what
> component to file against.  I tried F-9 kernel/mkinitrd/upstream going
> back until mid-March in the F-9 chroot and it doesn't seem to change
> this behavior.

I tried upgrading my laptop from F8 to F9-beta, which only resulted in
this *exact* same behavior. It hangs at the same point. Will start a
shell if I put init=/bin/bash on the command line. nash-hotplug is still
running. It does this even if I boot with the previously working F8
kernel.

So all this would indicate that this problem is not specific to PXE/NFS
boot, and is not specific to any kernel. Is upstart b0rked somehow? Or
is it a hotplug problem?

In the mean time my laptop is out of commission, and I am at a loss as
to how to diagnose this problem. Which is highly inconvenient to getting
any work done. Silly me, thinking that a beta would at least make it as
far as starting init. Babies eaten: check.

Note that I can boot a rescue disk. I've tried updating it many times
over the past week, with no luck. I've tried nuking and reinstalling
upstart, initscripts and the kernel several times, no luck there either.
I've tried relabeling the filesystem, and tried booting with selinux
disabled, still won't boot.

Help?