kernel compile failure

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 13:40:06 UTC 2008

Stanislav Polášek wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:38:00PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:22:06 +0200, Stanislav Polášek <sp at linworx.cz> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everybody. I just tried several times to recompile latest
>>> fedora kernel on my laptop (Lenovo t61) running latest rawhide,
>>> and it's a kind of sad experience. Everytime I try, the gcc reports
>>> segmentation fault and building stops.
>> Time to run memtest86.
>
> And I did. No errors. But, when I switch off one core of the laptop processor, I can compile the kernel without problems. It is Core Duo T7300. Any idea what should I check now would be very helpfull.

As already mentioned by Bruno, triple-check that your fans are kicking in as
expected, this really does sound like a hardware fault.

My own T61 (T7500, 2.2GHz core 2 duo) has no problems whatsoever building
rawhide kernels with both cores enabled, but the fans are cranked up and
blowing quite a bit of hot air out the rear left corner when its building.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com