Fedora 9 and VMWare server

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Sat Apr 19 19:56:29 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 02:07:25 am Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >>
> >> I didn't have to manually load the 32 bit libraries like that in F8.
> >
> > Yes. The multilib policy has changed and we don't install 32-bit libs on
> > a 64-bit system by default anymore. You can change it in yum.conf by
> > setting multilib_policy=all. The default is best.
>
> What does it hurt to have a library installed that is unused some of the
> time?

Its been discussed at length, but my personal favorite reason: It annoys the
living crap out of a bunch of people to have all these extra unneeded bits
installed. If I need/want something 32-bit, I'll install it myself,
otherwise, I just want the 64-bit bits. Less stuff to yum upgrade if you
don't have umpteen extra unneeded 32-bit bits laying about. Part of my usual
dance when installing a 64-bit system in the past has been to immediately yum
remove all the 32-bit stuff before doing anything else, so I don't have to
wait for those worthless bits to be upgraded -- time spent calculating the
upgrade, time spent downloading, time spent installing, etc. (Yes, I'm
impatient, but for some people, time is money. For others, more bits to
transfer across the wire is money. And so on.)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com