F9 preview: live cd issues

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Apr 21 04:18:41 UTC 2008

Since I wasn't able to get F9 Preview or Beta installed, I d/l F9
Preview Live CD and booted it.  It almost did not boot.  I was getting
all kinds of weird block device errors and a lot of trouble reading the
cd with errors on /dev/sr0 like (and I verified the media - it was good):

Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0462
end_request, I/O error, dev sr0, sector 33840
Unable to find persistent overlay; using temporary
Red Hat Nash version 6.0.47 starting
Setting up new root fs
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old [bunch of icon chars like hearts and things]
unmounting old /sys
       Welcome to Fedora

Once it finally did boot I went in and sent a smolt profile of my
machine.  It is here:
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_a85342c8-29ef-4208-a216-161ee87bcb2f

With all the weird errors I've seen I think that F9 is having some
difficulty with the  SATA/IDE controllers/drives.
This machine has three SATA controllers:
Gigabyte 2 int 2 ext
AMD660 4 int
HighPoint 2300 4 int

Gerry