Fedora 9 Preview issues

Tomasz Torcz tomek at crocom.com.pl
Tue Apr 22 11:24:05 UTC 2008

Dnia 21-04-2008, pon o godzinie 13:25 -0400, Dan Williams pisze:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 13:16 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:45:02PM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > Mark any devices that you do not want to control with NetworkManager
> > > with NM_CONTROLLED=no in the ifcfg file for that device.  Of course that
> > > makes the device unmanaged by NM, and therefore it will never be your
> > > default route, but it might work for you if you want to keep using NM.
> >
> > How does NM choose the device to use for the default route?  I had a
> > problem with NM choosing the device that has NO default route over the
> > one that has a default route.
>
> Latest activated wired device, then wireless, then GSM/CDMA.  AutoIPv4
> devices never get the default route.  Do you by chance have a device
> that's not really connected to anything?

I have eth0 connected to real network without DHCP. IP for eth0 was
configured statically in installer. Default gateway is reachable by
eth0.
I also have eth1 which is directly connected to other computer. No
default route, no DHCP.
After first boot I had no network connectivity. Or network dissappeared
when I logged in, I don't remeber correctly. NM cleared /etc/resolv.conf
and default route.
First I tried to configure eth0 as static IP in NM. But I got lost in
dialog. Clicked Add, got some settings for "Wired connection 1" but
couldn't find how to select which eth* I'm configuring (BTW, this
computer has 4 ethernet cards). I gave up.
So I stuck NETWORKMANAGER=no, NM_CONTROLLED=no and GATEWAY=x.x.x.x in
ifcfg-eth0, but I still don't have network (default route/nameservers)
after reboot.

On the other way, mobile broadband works perfectly, requiring plugin my
Huawei E220 and two (2!) clicks.

--
Tomasz Torcz