Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Apr 23 16:12:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 05:55:28PM +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> I think we can simply create /sbin -> /bin and /usr/sbin -> /usr/bin
> for backward compatibility. Typing /sbin every time when I want run
> ifconfig or service <something> status is really annoying.
Yea. Especially since there are a lot of /sbin tools that are really useful
without privileges.

Hell, wireshark _warns_ you if you try to run it as root these days, and
what we have is a consolehelper wrapper in /usr/bin that wants to
make it run as root, if at all possible.

I do my packet captures in other ways and occasionally use wireshark to look
at the dirty details. I hate getting that "want root?" popup unless I
specify the /usr/sbin one. Sure I can press "No", but it's still annoying.

--
Pekka Pietikainen