Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Mike Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Apr 24 00:51:21 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10
From: Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: 04/23/2008 07:24 PM

> Everybody being confronted with programs he can't run.
> "must be root" .. "insufficent privileges to ..."
>
> Is this any better than what Fedora has now?

mount is available to non-root users. It's *no different* than what
Fedora has now. Fedora is *limited* by not having /sbin and /usr/sbin
available by default.

>>  Why would you care if you have one extra program in your PATH?
>>
> I do not care about extra programs in $PATH - I do care about having
> programs which are NOT RUNABLE by users and which are not USEFUL for
> ordinary users in $PATH.

Take note as "care" is the key word here. You would rather lose
functionality over a meaningless feeling. How is having lsusb in your
PATH going to ruin your life? Yes, lsusb is very useful to non-root
users. How is having httpd in your PATH going to ruin your life? Yes,
because it is going to hurt your feelings. I'm sorry. Why are your
feelings the issue at hand here?
>>  Is the world coming to an end?
>>
> Well, there are reasons why things are as they are. Of cause, there are
> warts, there are arguable details, nevertheless there are reasons for
> why things are, as they are.

No one can explain it other than "just because" and people's personal
feelings.
> Do you really think you are the first people to discuss this topic? No,
> you aren't, this discussion is as old as */sbin exists.

I would sure hope this isn't the first time, but when was the last time
it was discussed? I'm not trying to pretend I know it all either. Thanks.