Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 04:49:27 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus at tmus.dk> wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:

>>> Not at all,
>>>
>>> +1000000
>>>
>>> I've been consistenly changing /etc/profile todo exactly this since the
>> day I started using RH 4.0
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>

>>  Isn't that more or less the same reason most windows users login as
>> administrator - The convenience?
>>
>>  Note: I know the security risk in the two examples are not in the same
>> ball-park, so there's no need to lecture me on that.
>>
>>  I'm merely speaking of convenience and how it sometimes makes it feel right
>> to do the wrong thing.
>>
> Speaking as probably one of the most inexperienced Fedora users
> subscribing to this list. I whole-heartedly agree with this sentiment.
> Its already been said but I will say it again anyway. Those that know
> how to add things to their $PATH will do just that and not be
> inconvenienced.

Actually, this is not true.  I added it to my PATH for years since
starting on RHL-4.  But at some point in using Fedora, I stopped because
  I gave up on the hassle of adding a custom PATH to /etc/profile.d/
every time I installed a new box.  Additionally, I now have more shell
accounts on boxes that I only drop into once in a while when something's
wrong that I've learned to accept the constant annoyance of not having
.*/sbin in my PATH.

> If you don't know how to find ifconfig and add it to
> your $PATH then you probably would just shoot yourself in the foot
> with it, if you don't know but are motivated you can certainly find
> this info easily enough. Our time on this earth is limited  but its
> not that limited.

Actually, it is.  Every day, lose six minutes from having to retype a
sudo line due to not having a PATH configured with sbin.  Most likely
when you're already stressed that something is broken and you just want
to find out what as quickly as possible.

-Toshio

-Toshio