Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Thu Apr 24 09:10:45 UTC 2008

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:30:31PM -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
>> The FHS states that /sbin and /usr/sbin are for root-only commands.
>> If we have programs in those directories that are to be used by
>> non-root users, I think we've violated the FHS.
>
> The FHS says
>
> "Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only
>  commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin."
>
> It's open to interpretation whether the "other root-only command"
> implies that "utilities used for system administration" are root-only,
> too.
>
> And even if so, the question is whether using 10% of a command (its
> querying options) makes a command non-root.
>
> And FWIW I'm not that happy that the default on a multiuser system is
> that any *user* can do lots of system analysis. Aren't we blurring the
> line between managing and using a system just because we (and other
> power users) enjoy doing it all from one account? In that case just
> have this account add its favourite PATH extras.

Precisely.

I'm sure there are lots of things each of us will do every time we
install a new system, but forcing bad habits onto the rest of the
community seems plain wrong.

If anyone needs this so badly, put the */sbin's in your PATH, done!

I always change /etc/profile.d/vim.sh, so that root will get syntax
highlighting in vim. This is the same kind of convenience tweak as the
*/sbin path thing, but the fact that I like it this way, does not make
it a sane default... There are numerous other examples of things that
might be nice, but does not qualify for sane defaults.

/Thomas