Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Apr 24 11:05:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:18:21AM +0200, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 09:43 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
>
> > I think modifying the default PATH is a short term solution, but I'd
> > rather see packaging policy changed and packages for F-10 changed to
> > move commands in to bin that should belong there.
>
> Moving is a Bad Idea(tm).  See how many scrippts have /sbiin paths
> hardcoded, as it's traditionally not in PATH.

Actually the reason is that even if it were in $PATH, many scripts
don't want to assume a sane $PATH where there are no paths that could
override /sbin/foo with /opt/blah/sbin/foo or /usr/sbin/foo.

That's one of the reasons to use %{__foocmd} instead of foocmd,
although I admit I trust rpm to provide a sane $PATH usually.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net