Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 17:17:32 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:

>>> The defaults are wrong for you ,me, and just about everyone that
>>> subscribes to this list. Joe User doesn't need access to these
>>> commands.
>>>
>>  That is an annoyingly elitist attitude that still doesn't justify making
>> things more confusing.
>>
> It is not elitist.

Considering yourself a 'special' case is elitist.

> It forces the user to learn as I have taken the
> trouble to do because it interests me to do so. If i am not interested
> then maybe seeing command not found will prod me to learn the why of
> things,

Having programs that you need to run not in your default PATH is not
'the way of things'.  It is the way one one peculiar distribution set
its defaults.  Having /sbin, /user/sbin at all is not 'the way of
things', it is the way some unix-like systems arrange things.

>>  That has absolutely nothing to do with supplying usable defaults, which is
>> what this conversation was about.
>
> This conversation is about moving /sbin into /bin and why that is or
> is not a bad idea. My solution would be long term, as it would force
> the user to learn the way of things and then we could move /sbin into
> /bin and not worry about it : )

Learning the oddball quirks of a peculiar version of something is
generally a waste of time for everyone involved.  The point of having a
PATH variable and a shell that searches it is so you don't have to learn
that kind of crap and re-learn it every time some committee gets
together and calls their new arrangement a standard.   No one should
ever have to learn where ifconfig lives this week.  On the other hand,
if they learn what it does, that should be good for another 30 years.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com