s-c-network: legit hosts file entries

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Fri Apr 25 12:34:54 UTC 2008

David Timms wrote:
> Bill Crawford wrote:
>> On 25/04/2008, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>>  - it dislikes [_] at all. [_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ldap.myweb.com.au]
>>> is a
>>> name that windows PC's lookup, and seems to be legit.
>>>
>>>  - it dislikes a trailing - in an alias.
>>
>> Both are rules of DNS, basically.
>
> So the ms ldap {lookout client} lookups are not actually legit ? I am
> not surprised.
>
> And is only the trailing - not legitimate, or a - anywhere in the name ?
>
> DaveT.

Microsoft do it right....

Per http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/underscore.html
"Host names are not allowed to have underscores in them. In DNS, host
names are the name fields of A or MX records or the data fields of the
SOA and NS records. Thus, there are many DNS entries that are not
hostnames."

This may be why it doesn't it in /etc/hosts (it's refers to 'host' names).

-'s are valid in domain names. and yeah, most likely correct about them
not allowed at the end (it makes sense really).

- Nigel