New vegastrike for F-10: 500MB !! ??

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Fri Apr 25 13:15:14 UTC 2008

> On 25.04.2008 11:09, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> Le Ven 25 avril 2008 10:47, Jakub Jelinek a écrit :
>>
>>> Remember many people mirror the whole Everything tree to do
>>> local installs etc.
>> That just means we need more granular repositories, with one
>> repository devoted to big lumps of optional resources like game data,
>> artwork (images/audio/video), artistic fonts, document templates,
>> cliparts, etc
>
> Just hardlinking the file between the different repos on the server
> should IMHO solve most problems and avoids all the problems a separate
> repo would bring.

I agree.  I think having separate program and data rpms is sufficient, as
long as the data rpm is noarch.  500MB is huge, but so what?   That's
wonderful!

As far as local mirrors go, speaking as a local mirror maintainer, I have
no problem with a 500MB file rpm.  I'd rather have that in my local mirror
than have all 3 machines with vegastrike on them pull them down
individually.  Disk is cheap, bandwidth is expensive.  At least where I
am.

And I agree that it needs to stay in rpm.  I thought about what the
potential consequences of a non-rpm distribution of data files could be.
I nearly sent back my breakfast.

> CU
> thl
>
> --