More Java guidelines questions

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Apr 29 14:25:04 UTC 2008

2008/4/28 Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 09:01 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>  > 2008/4/27 Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:
>  > >
>  > >  IMHO the only reason Java bytecode exists is to make it possible to
>  > >  distribute "run anywhere" proprietary software while keeping the source
>  > >  code closed.
>  >
>  > No.  Even originally, that isn't true.
>
>  You don't honestly believe that, do you?

I do, in fact.

I think this crusade against bytecode that you're talking about is
largely at best a waste of time and resources.  If you have reliable
benchmarks for specific real-world programs shipped in Fedora (i.e.
not synthetic benchmarks) where AOT compilation (be that via GCJ or
Hotspot's) is better, it might make sense to do so for those programs.