is xorg.conf still needed

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 03:31:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 12:52 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>  > I'm pretty sure that from comments made either on this list or
>  > fedora-test that we are moving in a direction where the norm will be
>  > that no xorg.conf file is needed and therefor won't be created.
>
>  This is a very strong goal for Fedora 10, at least for me.  There are a
>  couple of outstanding things that are going to have to be taken care of:
>  *) Getting the X keyboard layout set based on /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
>  *) Need to be able to pass arbitrary options for input devices (eg, all
>  the stuff needed for wacom config)
>  *) Profit :-)

Please don't forget us folks who run Fedora on rack-mounted servers in
the back room.  I've got a single monitor, mouse, and keyboard shared
via a KVM switch between several machines.  The odds are high that
those I/O devices cannot be queried for their properties at X startup
time because the KVM switch is set to some other machine.
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/