is xorg.conf still needed

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 08:58:10 UTC 2008

"Jerry James" <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:
>Please don't forget us folks who run Fedora on rack-mounted servers in
>the back room.  I've got a single monitor, mouse, and keyboard shared
>via a KVM switch between several machines.  The odds are high that
>those I/O devices cannot be queried for their properties at X startup
>time because the KVM switch is set to some other machine.

+1

I have a KVM switch between my firewall and desktop machines.  While
the desktop was booting up I often switched to the console of the
firewall to do something else, thus making more effective use of my
time.  With recent versions of Fedora this results in the desktop not
detecting the monitor and getting a stupid default resolution.

Ron