is xorg.conf still needed

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Wed Apr 30 09:07:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:56:48AM +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:

> I think it is not good idea. Autoconfiguration is generally better than
> manual but in some cases autoconfiguration cannot help you. Examples:
>
> - your xyz driver is broken and you want use vesa temporarily
> - you want use some external module (like vnc module)
> - you are user who needs fine-grained configuration (autoconfiguration
>   is good for masses but sometimes people needs more)
>
> Best should be use autoconfiguration as much as possible but preserve
> and create minimal xorg.conf.

I agree on this.

Besides frequent issues with new hardware (and thus having to specify
drivers or turn of acceleration etc.) I use xorg.conf for setting
blank/standby/suspendtime values, for specifying extra input devices
(like touch screens) ans for loading the vnc module (with options).

Having a minimal configuration that works for the masses is better,
IMHO.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>