is xorg.conf still needed

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 13:28:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:56 +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:52:20PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > I've been running my system for the past week without an xorg.conf file
> > and it seems to work well
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that from comments made either on this list or
> > fedora-test that we are moving in a direction where the norm will be
> > that no xorg.conf file is needed and therefor won't be created.
>
> I think it is not good idea. Autoconfiguration is generally better than
> manual but in some cases autoconfiguration cannot help you. Examples:
>
> - your xyz driver is broken and you want use vesa temporarily

Ultimately, we should be fixing these bugs.  Not having a config file to
work around them.  But at the same time, the idea is that you can do
things like this at the hal level with fdi files rather than xorg.conf

> - you want use some external module (like vnc module)

Not sure what the best answer for these are...  I defer to ajax :)

> - you are user who needs fine-grained configuration (autoconfiguration
>   is good for masses but sometimes people needs more)

But a lot of the configuration is *user* based -- not the system.

> Best should be use autoconfiguration as much as possible but preserve
> and create minimal xorg.conf.

How does an empty xorg.conf help anyone?  There's nothing saying that if
you _create_ one it won't be followed, but in the general case, one
shouldn't be needed and we shouldn't be writing one out.

Jeremy