is xorg.conf still needed

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 13:46:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 01:12 -0400, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Speaking about xorg.conf. It would be nice to discuss about tablet device
> support like Wacom model. So far I have to manually edit that file to fully
> enable feature of stylus. Maybe talking to upstream would help.

There's two pieces here.  One is just getting the driver loaded, which
we do in fact handle.  If lshal shows your Wacom device, we'll load the
linuxwacom driver on it automagically.

The downside (and the other piece) is that we do so with absolutely none
of the mandatory options specified, which means the driver refuses to do
anything with the device.  Some of this we could fold into the base
option set, but some of it really is user preference and needs to be
exposed in the UI rather than in xorg.conf.  The goal is to have
properties on input devices by the next X server release (ie, 1.6),
which will work more or less like RANDR output properties, and will
allow you to configure things like stylus/eraser/cursor/pad on the fly.

- ajax