Java debugging

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:02:36 UTC 2008

Andrew Overholt wrote:

>>> Oh, great.  :-(
>>>
>>> That's an incompatible change from Java 1.5 to 1.6.
>>>
>>> Java 1.6 has a final method clearCache(), 1.5 doesn't:
>>>
>>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>>> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ResourceBundle.html
>> So someone has noticed that shipping a 1.6'ish JVM isn't necessarily
>> going to work for everyone who needs to run current java applications?
>
> Since OpenJDK is >= 1.6 (ignoring gcj and other GNU Classpath-based
> JVMs), I'm not sure if there's a better solution.  Is there?

The obvious solution is to ship a jpackage nosrc style rpm for the Sun
Java versions that you are unwilling to include.  That would fix up the
fedora rpm dependencies and alternatives symlink weirdness that make
using your own downloaded binary painful otherwise.  Or maybe someone
can get the jpackage people to document which of their packages will
work for recent fedora versions.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com