Java debugging

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 19:31:52 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:

>>> This would go against Fedora's goals.
>> Your goal is to be unusable with java-compliant code?
>
> We insist on all packages being patched to compile with the GCC we are
> shipping, which has similar, if not worse, pain-in-the-ass breakage
> issues, especially with C++.

What does that have to do with being able to run other people's
standard-compliant code?  Or with shipping a nosrc rpm that just deals
with fedora's internal strangeness.

> Why should Java be any different?

Java is different because people need to download their own copy of a
standard-compliant JVM.  That's not a problem by itself.  The problem is
that the fedora rpms have built in dependencies not satisfied by any
standard-compliant JVM that you can download, and the fedora file
structure expects an odd morass of symlinks that nothing else is going
to provide.  Jpackage.org used to fill this need, but the relationship
seems badly broken these days.

 > Fix the
> code, ask for help if you need it.

It's not my code and it doesn't need to be fixed.  I want to run things
like opennms, alfresco, openfire, spark, opengrok, etc.  Some of these
may work with 1.6 already but at least opennms doesn't and I don't like
surprises.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com