F9 installation screenshot

Pawel Salek pawsa-gpa at theochem.kth.se
Wed Apr 30 21:47:23 UTC 2008

On 04/30/2008 10:40:47 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 30 avril 2008 à 14:57 -0500, Callum Lerwick a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 09:52 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > > I, for one was glad when those (and previous redneck jokes) were
> > > kicked out of the installer. The text and imagery used were just
> too
> > > US-centric to be comfortable, and got old fast.
> >
> > It's a two way street.
> >
> > Yes, it's cool to hate America these days. I'm no fan of our current
> > foreign policy myself. But it is still rather insulting in many
> circles
> > that you paint all Americans as being rednecks like you just did.
>
> Since you seem not to have gotten the reference, one of the ancient
> Red
> Hat releases bragged about Redneck support in its image/text install
> train. I can tell you this had a terrible effect on people that were
> installing for another locale and found out half the needed pieces for
> this locale were missing (but that's ok, Redneck is in, who actually
> needs more than English+Redneck).

And who's to blame? English-speaking people?

> So get a grip. Everyone is not seing the world through and American
> eye.
> American junk food industry imagery is not a positive image
> everywhere.
> American cultural references and priorities are not shared by most of
> the world.

Nicolas: I suggest you recent review your posts to fedora-devel-list to
realise how large percentage of them circle about your feelings towards
USA. It is boring at best. Let's stick to technical discussions here
and leave politics, religion, sex and rock&roll out (have I forget any
item from the list?).

For the record, I found the "redneck" language option  useless but it
was a nice demo of the localisation functionality (was it not the first
localized linux installer ever?). And I thought it was bit funny, too.

Pawel
PS. I think it's time to either close this thread or make it focused
better on the installation itself.