disk devices in F9 interchanged

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Tue Apr 1 23:54:04 UTC 2008

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>>> The question now becomes why wasn't /dev/sdd5 UUID used to id the
>>> swap device during the original installation?  Or do they pertain to
>>> swap devices?  I see that blkid /dev/sda5 returns only:
>>> /dev/sda5: TYPE="swap".
>>
>> My swaps on all beta installs I did used uuid in /etc/fstab.  Look in
>> /dev/disk/by-uuid and see if there is one thats unused in your fstab,
>> thats likely your swap.  Don't know why it was different for your
>> install.
>>

> blkid /dev/sda5 indicates no uuid.  I will try another F9beta install
> later and see what it says.  I do have other distros on this machine,
> maybe one of them is doing something.  So far all distros have found the
> one swap device on this system.

Some weirdness going on, but first:

1) clean install to a new LV but not creating a new swap:  old swap
identified, but no UUID assigned and fstab still uses /dev/sda5.
2) clean install to a new LV and create an additional new swap, old swap
still not given a UUID, but new swap is with fstab using UUID for the
new swap:
[root at P5K-EWIFI ~]# blkid /dev/sda*
<snip>
/dev/sda5: TYPE="swap"
<snip>
[root at P5K-EWIFI ~]# blkid /dev/sdc*
/dev/sdc1: UUID="1080D63D80D628CC" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdc2: UUID="vBUNbd-U83e-LUhG-O03Q-Hrn3-KaOf-HK8bzR" TYPE="lvm2pv"
/dev/sdc3: LABEL="SWAP-sdc3" UUID="6ddf787e-381c-4c54-b903-8e4900ca7228"
TYPE="swap"
[root at P5K-EWIFI ~]#

The weirdness:  on the first attempt of each install, anaconda ignored
the bios hard drive sequence by identifying the sata drives ahead of the
ide drive and when it tried to format a new standard linux partition on
one of the sata drives failed with a msg to the effect "A serious error
has occurred.  Cannot continue, press <enter> to reboot."  The syslog
from the first incident is large and at the end and on VT4 there is a
msg like:  <30> Apr 1 13:44:51 hald[1619] 13:44:51.415 [I] OSSPEC.C:288:
/proc/mount tells, that the mount tree has changed.

On reboot, the bios disk sequence is correct in anaconda and
installation proceeds normally.

At first I thought this was an April Fools Easter Egg, but the dates are
just a coincidence.

I have the syslog and can provide it if desired.