very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 06:41:58 UTC 2008

Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Compiling these modules, which are loaded on nearly every PC, in the
> kernel cuts down my boot time from 42s to 32s on my computer:
>
> ata_generic
> ata_piix
> cdrom
> dm_mirror
> dm_mod
> dm_snapshot
> dm_zero
> ehci_hcd
> ext3
> floppy
> i2c_core
> jbd
> libata
> mbcache
> ohci_hcd
> parport
> parport_pc
> pata_acpi
> scsi_mod
> sd_mod
> sg
> snd
> snd_mixer_oss
> snd_page_alloc
> snd_pcm
> snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq
> snd_seq_device
> snd_seq_dummy
> snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_oss
> snd_timer
> soundcore
> sr_mod
> uhci_hcd

It also makes it much more difficult to troubleshoot those subsystems or
work around their quirks.  I wouldn't have a problem with ext3, jbd, or
dm_* being built-in, but anything that deals with hardware should really
be modular.  Of course, that wipes out most of your list.

I'd really rather focus on optimizing modprobe than sacrificing the many
benefits of modularity for a very small performance boost.

-- Chris