F8->F9 upgrade check

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 20:37:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:14 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 20:16 +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > >  bouml-doc:
> > >   F8-updates > F9 (0:3.4-1 > 0:3.0-2)
> >
> > It does not use a DistTag so the package in F-8 updates should be
> > inherited in F-9/Rawhide too. Jesse Keating usually does some magic
> > and takes care of this every time there is a new update.
>
> Erm... no.  disttag has nothing to do with koji inheritance.  The only
> time rawhide will inherit a package from dist-f8-updates is if there
> isn't already any form of that package in dist-rawhide.
>
> And you _really_ shouldn't be relying on inheritance anyway.  We want
> packages in F9 to be built against F9, not F8.
>
> > I have just requested a new bouml-doc-4.2-1 to be pushed into F-7 updates:
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F7/FEDORA-2008-2856
> >
> > So it might be better if we made sure this one gets inherited
> > correctly into F-8 and F-9/Rawhide instead of bothering with the older
> > package.
>
> No.  Build the package properly for each release.
>
> josh

To be fair, this is one of those packages that we do want inheritance to
work.  It's a noarch doc package that really doesn't need to be
"rebuilt" X times and be upgraded needlessly for people when moving from
one dist to another.  I'll look into why the inheritance isn't working
right.

--
Jesse Keating