bugzilla triage madness :-/

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Apr 5 11:36:42 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt <mschwendt <at> gmail.com> writes:
> No, thanks. Too many bugs => "inordinate amount of time" (your theory).

You have to keep in mind that you're not the average bug reporter. Most bug
reporters have only few bugs, much fewer than the average maintainer. Have you
looked at how many bugs have been filed against KDE in Fedora?

> The bot confronts me with a collection of bugs and sets a short
> deadline. I regret that I've submitted them. The Fedora School of Bug
> Mismanagement teaches me to let them rest in peace this time, because
> that's the only way I can avoid fighting against a bot that tries to put
> additional work onto my shoulders from time to time. Retest against FC6,
> retest against F7, retest against F8, retest against F9. It's insulting.

Your bug reports are also atypical in that most of them don't require being
reproduced (because specfile bugs can be seen just by looking at the specfile).
This lends them nicely to triaging by a triager with basic specfile knowledge.
This is not the case of many bugs, where asking the reporter if it still
happens is really the only way to know.

I think that instead of insulting the Triage Team's work, it would be more
productive to kindly ask them to help you triaging the bugs you reported
because they are too many for you to deal with (something which is obvious to
me at least, I know what a mountain of bugs looks like!). I am sure you can
work something out that way instead of creating bad air and sour grapes. Please
work with each other, not against each other!

        Kevin Kofler