bugzilla triage madness :-/

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 21:40:18 UTC 2008

2008/4/5, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:36:42 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >
> >  > I think that instead of insulting the Triage Team's work, it would be
> more
> >  > productive to kindly ask them to help you triaging the bugs you
> reported
> >  > because they are too many for you to deal with (something which is
> obvious to
> >  > me at least, I know what a mountain of bugs looks like!). I am sure
> you can
> >  > work something out that way instead of creating bad air and sour
> grapes. Please
> >  > work with each other, not against each other!
> >
> >  Tell that the bot!
> >
> >  I mean it. Why the superfluous work? Where are the maintainers? Ah, I
> >  remember, they are flooded with tickets and cannot handle them all.
> Then
> >  why should I spend more time on re-evaluating defects again if there is
> no
> >  guarantee that this time they will be fixed? Where in the protocol is
> the
> >  person to work on the fix? Right, nowhere. The same [or new] maintainer
> may
> >  decide to ignore the report again due to lack of time or lack of
> interest.
> >  Till next time when I'll be asked to retest against F10.
> >
> >  I don't criticise that tickets are set to NEEDINFO with some
> cool-looking
> >  "bzcl34nup" keyword applied to them. I criticise the plans to close
> >  tickets after 30 days, because that is equal to hiding things under the
> >  carpet. And it doesn't help with orphaned packages either. Look at
> >  http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/plague for example. The packages are
> >  unmaintained since FE6. What will happen if the NEEDINFO call is not
> >  answered? The packages will remain broken and unmaintained. There are
> >  other packages where the example would be valid, too.
> >

> I realize you are frustrated but you do not seem to be happy with any
> solution. Leave them open forever... and it shows that no one cares.
> Close them after a certain time and it shows that no one cares.
>
> Would you be happy with a firing squad for maintainers? A public wall
> of shame? Is there anything that would make you happy that could be
> done within X weeks by Y volunteers?

At least give maintainers an option to opt out, on a per maintainer and per
package level of these bug genocides. I, e.g., just took over Beagle and am
in the progress of reviewing all the open bugs I inherited as well as doing
a major spec cleanup and preparing Fedora for a push of 0.3.x to F8 which
will bring substantial improvements to the overall state of the situation. I
do not wish the bugzappers to run around mocking with my bugs, their
intentions might be good but they are making my personal process harder not
easier - I would just like to say no to the drugs, please.

- David