Dual head in F9 on KDE spin

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Mon Apr 7 17:50:53 UTC 2008

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> On 07/04/2008, Paul Michael Reilly <pmr at pajato.com> wrote:
>> I'd love nothing more than to attest that F9-Beta KDE spin works perfectly
>> on both my external monitors using the nv driver for an nVidia Quatro
>> something (my hp nw9440 laptop uses a G71 as near as I can tell), ... but I
>> cannot. :-(
>
> If I recall correctly (somebody correct me if I'm wrong!), KDE4's
> support for randr 1.2 is not complete at the moment. It certainly
> doesn't do anything good with clone mode -- you end up with two
> overlapping copies of your desktop. I think I did get close to having
> it work with side-by-side displays (Intel graphics), but it took some
> trial-and-error. I should try again more systematically.

Tell me more about this trial and error effort:  were you using the
randr command or a gui tool?  Is there any place I can go to see what
the support for randr 1.2 will be when it is complete in a F9 KDE4 spin?
  I am striving to understand what the KDE model for F9 will be in order
to set up external monitors, if only to test that it does the intended
job.  I'll go back and read the F9 RandR feature description but somehow
I suspect it will not provide that information.

Thanks,

-pmr