auto-discovery of filesystems (mount, icon) by Gnome Desktop

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Tue Apr 8 14:42:25 UTC 2008

Four days ago my rawhide Gnome Desktop was uncluttered.  Yesterday
the desktop has an icon for every filesystem not listed in /etc/fstab
(several dozen), each filesystem has been mounted read-write
in /media, and login takes 10 seconds longer.

How can I control this?  Each of the six states ({read-only, read-write,
no mount} cross {icon or not}) is a valid possibility.  Besides that,
I seek control via:
   userID, groupID, system-wide master override
   userID, groupID, system-wide default
   media type (flash memory, CD, DVD, ROM, Recordable, RW, ...)
   media location (internal, front panel, rear panel)
   connector/bus type (pata, sata, e-sata, USB1.1, USB2.0, ieee1394)
   device manufacturer, model number, serial number
   filesystem type (vfat, ext2, ...), label, UUID
   spindle (sda, sdb, etc.)
   time and date
Text specifiers should allow regular expressions.