[OT] i586 kernels [Was: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process]

Mike Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Apr 8 15:42:27 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: i586 kernels [Was: very common kernel modules slow down
the	boot process]
From: Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: 04/08/2008 10:11 AM

>> Not to sound *too* negative, but is there a donation fund where I can
>> put $5 so you guys with i586s can upgrade? Good lord.
>
> The 586 aspect isn't a big problem. It needs some trivial kernel differences
> which increasingly are being done by run time fixup. The installer is fine
> if there is enough memory. I did need to use a respin disk but that was no
> big deal. The VIA isn't really a 586 but a 686, it is however hit by a gcc
> machine specification bug that isn't really fixable as stuff now relies on the
> broken gcc definition of 686.

That is unfortunate.

>> I'm sure if you melted down the gold, copper, and steel in the i586
>> computers you guys have you could *easily* afford a Core 2 Quad with 4
>> gigs of DDR2.
>
> Yes but it wouldn't run on under 60 watts, silently including the tft and
> disks. The VIA EPIA boxes are very good for that sort of thing and they
> save a lot in power costs.

If power draw is a concern, there's some ULV Core 2s you could use. 1.2
ghz of power at 10 watts TDP. Much faster and cooler than the VIA. SSD
drives for complete silence. I'm not trying to be an Intel salesman, but
you cannot turn a blind eye to the CPU lines they currently have.

> Alan

Mike