i586 kernels [Was: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:07:11 UTC 2008

Mike Cronenworth wrote:

>> ... if I were interested in running a "multimedia desktop" (which I
>> presume is the direction certain folks are trying to drive Fedora into),
>> I'd probably use Vista or buy a Mac.
>>

> Going further OT here.
>
> So you wish to say Linux isn't "multimedia competent?"

It isn't 'Linux' that is the relevant issue. It is more that Microsoft
and Apple aggregate all of the patented and copyrighted materials that
are typically needed for multimedia operations and roll the cost into
the total for the OS and apps.   Linux distributors typically don't, and
in the GPL world there really isn't a business model that can
accommodate the concept of fairly sharing the expenses of something that
isn't free but could be very cheap in a mass-market distribution.

 > Tell that to any
> number of Hollywood movie studios that use Linux to produce their
> movies.

Or ask them what it cost them in terms of customization to do what they
want and decide if you'd rather have something that did everything you
want out of the box.

> P.S. Replace Linux with Fedora where appropriate. Fedora is flexible
> enough that you could strip out Gnome (I do) and other components to get
> down to an RPM install with a kernel and whatever else may please you.
> You can thank all the people on this list (inc. Red Hat) for that.

The mechanics aren't quite the point.  How do you get licensed/legal
versions of all the components at bulk pricing rates?  Is there even
such a thing for DVD playing on linux where software patents and the
DMCA are observed?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com