RFC: Draft Javascript Guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:54:47 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm drafting some Javascript Guidelines and would like some input.  The
current ideas are on the wiki here::
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Javascript

If I don't get some feedback I'll be making some decisions based on the
information there in order to have something that's ready for a vote in
two weeks.

My current thoughts on positions the draft will take are::

Javascript libraries must be packaged separately from web applications.
  Web Applications are not allowed to include Javascript Libraries (or
plugins to those libraries which have a separate upstream from the web
app) but must use the system provided ones.

Javascript libraries must provide an apache conf file that will serve
the library from the filesystem to clients from a specific URL.  config
files for other web servers are optional.

URLs for Javascript libraries should be rooted in /js/

I'm not sure whether to advocate using JsMin or similar or not.

If you don't like some of these ideas, please respond!  Nothing's set in
stone yet, but without your input, they will get turned into Guidelines.

-Toshio