RFC: Draft Javascript Guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:18:52 UTC 2008

Till Maas wrote:
> On Tue April 8 2008, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>> Javascript libraries must provide an apache conf file that will serve
>> the library from the filesystem to clients from a specific URL.  config
>> files for other web servers are optional.
>
> When the apache config file is stored below /etc/httpd, any Javascript library
> has to depend on apache. How about providing the config files somewhere else,
> so that any user who wants to use it, can symlink it from /etc/httpd or copy
> it?

That's a good point.  I looked at how MochiKit is currently packaged and
it does store files in /etc/httpd/conf.d and it does require httpd.
Probably not what we want as general policy.

1) config files should be placed in /etc/SOMETHING
   A) Users can symlink them if they have apache
(Thanks Till)

2) Use %triggers to symlink automatically (triggers can be problematic
in the long term)

3) Start using %{_sysconfdir}/httpd/conf.d the same way we use
%{_sysconfdir}/bash_completion.d and have all packages that install
files there own it.

4) Have filesystem own %{_sysconfdir}/httpd/conf.d or another directory
that apache is set to read configs from (this is the approach of xinetd.d)

Comments on why some of these should be preferred?

-Toshio