More Java guidelines questions

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 23:28:43 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 18:10 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Do you have an estimate for the man-hours of modifications it took to
>> make that possible to help others decide on the feasibility of using gcj
>>   instead of Sun Java in general?
>
> I don't, but that's a moot point because Fedora couldn't ship Sun Java.
> I'd like to think that a lot of the work that went into GCJ aided in the
> push to get Sun to open up Java so that we /could/ ship it.

It's not a moot point to users who do have the option to install Sun
Java even though it has been made more difficult than necessary on
fedora.  They need to decide which is likely to be more difficult (or
more productive) - installing sun java or making an arbitrary
application work with something fedora ships.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com