More Java guidelines questions

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 10:36:31 UTC 2008

Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 17:53 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
>>> Why not? Getting rid of legacy cruft sounds like an brilliantly elegant
>>> solution to me. But probably not applicable here, as GCJ doesn't really
>>> fall into that category, given it still outperforms OpenJDK by the
>>> factor of 10 on ppc.
>> If you can find something it will run besides whatever benchmark you
>> used for that measurement...  And will OpenJDK run  OpenNMS?
>
> The "benchmark" I used was compiling OpenJDK itself on ppc.

The speed ratio between gcj's interpreter and OpenJDK's C++ interpreter
varies depending on the load, but always seems to be in favour of gcj
by a ratio of at least 1.6.  gcj precompilation  improves that a lot,
as you might expect, and the code I've tried runs about 10 times faster
when precompiled on gcj than on OpenJDK's C++ interpreter.  We're working
on improving OpenJDK's performance on ppc and other Fedora arches.

Andrew.