yum, and 2 packages that provide the same thing

Stephen Warren s-t-rhbugzilla at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Apr 18 17:35:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, April 18, 2008 10:53 am, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Stephen Warren
> <s-t-rhbugzilla at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
>>  yum install unison213
>>
>>  and yum wouldn't know to remove the existing unison, and since they
>> share
>>  paths, things would break (unison213 ships /usr/bin/unison-2.13,
>> unison227
>>  ships /usr/bin/unison-2.27, and both use alternatives to manage
>>  /usr/bin/unison, which the original unison shipped)
>
> Wasn't the whole point of this packaging..to allow both versions to be
> installed in parallel?

Yes, and they are parallel installable.

The one and only issue is that if a user types just:

yum install unison

then yum is not picking the version I want it to (the most recent)

Of course, since the packages aren't named just "unison", perhaps nobody
will ever attempt to install "unison", so this may not be an issue at all.

Everything else works just fine, to enumerate:

yum update # with unison already installed
yum install unison213
yum install unison227
yum install unison213 unison227
yum install unison213 ; yum install unison227
yum install unison227 ; yum install unison213
Probably others I forget.