yum, and 2 packages that provide the same thing

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 19:51:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:19:50 -0400, James Antill wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 11:35 -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>
> > The one and only issue is that if a user types just:
> >
> > yum install unison
> >
> > then yum is not picking the version I want it to (the most recent)
>
>  As I said in my first response, what version of yum are you making this
> assertion about?
>  I've tested with 3.2.14-10 and it picks unison227 (no unison already
> installed doing: yum --enablerepo=development install unison)

The original post mentions ".fc8" packages, so likely it's F8.

But even if it works in rawhide, it's stuff to be very careful with in
the world of "one spec file for multiple %dist versions". Several RPM
versions would upgrade a package "foo123", which provides
"foo = 1.2.3", with a package "foo" that has a higher EVR. That was
fixed just last year, afair.