tool to detect new versions

Hello,

Are you aware of tools to help maintainers (or users) to detect that
a new version of the software is out without clicking? For perl there is
http://perl.biggerontheinside.net/packages/list
but in general is there something available? I remember having seen
something in debian I don't remember if it is debian specific. I also
remember flowing things on this list, but I couldn't find anything on
google.

--
Pat